Sunday, October 7, 2007

Can you say determined?

My children are very goal oriented. Apparently the twins goal for yesterday was to get a shower or a bath. First thing in the morning I got them changed and fed. I had left Matthew and Elliott asleep in my room and a little while later Matthew brought Elliott down and he headed back upstairs to take a shower. While I was taking care of Elliott, Corinna and Dakotta must have heard the water running because when I walked backed into the living room they were both completely naked. I had already changed them for the morning so their diapers were not longer duct taped on (if you have to ask see side note below). I asked them what they were doing they both told me they were going to take a shower. I decided since they were already naked it was a good time to put them on the toilet.

This little toilet ritual of ours is something I do in hopes that one day they are going to actually pee in the toilet (3 kids in diapers is not cheap). It involves first a fight over who is going to go first and who is going to put the cushy toddler seat on top of the regular seat. Then while I try to encourage one to "tinkle," complete with all manner of embarrassing songs and sound effects, the other will play with toilet paper. Then another fight ensues about who is going to wipe the "tinkler's" bum. Then we repeat. Then another fight about who is going flush the toilet. And then we wash hands. Time spent in bathroom:30 minutes. Toilet paper used: 1/2 roll. Fights broken up: 4. Pee in the Toilet: None.

So then I thought maybe I'd just let them run around naked for a bit. People keep telling me the bare bottom technique is the way to go with potty training. But apparently they took that as a sign that they were getting a bath. So as soon as they were allowed upstairs they headed straight to their bath tub. I finally got them out of their bathroom and shut the doors and they ran straight o my tub and decided to play in there. Since I needed to do some laundry, I let them play in the tub while I changed loads. When I came back I found ice skating in toothpaste they had squeezed into the tub. When I turned on the water to rinse out the tub and they started to get excited about taking a bath. But I'm a mean mommy and cleaned off their feet and got them out. Then I got them dressed and off to play.

A little later in the day the kids found some chalk outside and were coloring on the walk way in the back yard. All 4 girls were being so good playing so nicely together and I was watching from the deck. My view was somewhat obstructed by their play house. Then I noticed a pair of blue legs and realized they belonged to my 5 year old. Apparently the chalk had been left out in the rain and was the consistency of make up. So my angels come up to me looking like little Aborigines. Who knew wet chalk made such good War paint? And of course what's the first thing out of their mouths when they get to me. "I wanna take a bath" Well I was trying to head out to dinner for the night and by now I'm just as determined that they aren't going to be rewarded with a bath for being such trouble makers. So I cleaned them in the sink. Yes I know it would have been easier but I'm stood my ground on principle.

I am however, all about starting the day on a clean slate (literally) so first thing after breakfast this morning I gave them their bath.

My Little Aborigines
Corinna

Corinna washing up

Dakotta

My lovely walkway



Side Note: TMI Warning: If you have a weak stomach skip this little side note: THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE. My little darlings have the most disgusting habit. When they are left unattended for any length of time they will removed their diapers. Now that's rather annoying in itself. However, they aren't content just to enjoy the freedom of a bare butt. No, they must then use the contents of their diapers as art material. When they first discovered this hobby I outsmarted them by putting their diapers on backwards, so that they couldn't reach the tabs. They quickly figured out how to get to the tabs anyway. Luckily for us the weather turned cooler and we realized that they couldn't figure out the tabs that went over the zippers of their footy pajamas. So we had a brief reprieve until they figured those out as well. So finally, we've had to resort to duct taping their diapers on to them. I only do this at nap and bed times because that's when they are mostly likely to engage in this unsavory art form and, well if you've ever tried to duct tape a diaper on very active toddler while trying not to get the duct tape on their sensitive skin you know it's no picnic. Now before anyone thinks of call DFS or Dr. Phil, I got the duct tape recommendation from my Pediatrician.

3 comments:

Michael Taylor said...

The duct tape reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy joke:

When those diapers say 15-18 pounds they're not kidding. That's all they will hold.

Victoria said...

Yet another reason I let my mom keep the sidewalk chalk at her house! They are creative and focused!

Jill said...

I think the duct tape idea is great! Now . . . if they could only make tape that would stop any "backtalk" and whining. Hmm.. :)