Tuesday, October 2, 2007

When It Rains It Pours

This afternoon I had gotten Rebecca started on her homework, Elliott sleeping, and Kendall and the twins were playing in the living room. I have gates into the dining room, the kitchen, and at the top of the stairs and I had the outside doors dead bolted. I thought it was a good time to take a quick break and to read a few emails and check in on a message board I visit. I was wrong. As I'm at my computer in the basement I begin to hear water running. It sounded like it was coming from the bathroom and I didn't think much of it. A few minutes later I hear a dripping sound. I followed the sound which is about 2 feet to my left and look up and realize there's a water spot starting on my ceiling tile. I ran upstairs to see the gate open and Corinna at the back of the sink with water pouring out of it. I turn the water off and start mopping up the mess when I see Dakotta eating Rice Crispies off the floor with the empty box next to her. The funny thing was that when I asked who left the gate open both Rebecca and Kendall took responsibility. So they both got the pleasure of cleaning it up.

This is the problem with all these childproofing gadgets we have around the house. We are constantly in a state of thinking of ways to childproof better with as little inconvenience to the rest of us that live here. For example the doorknob covers are a blessing for me most of the time, until Kendall needs to make a mad dash to the bathroom. I've observed that there is a direct correlation to how badly one has the urge to pee and how difficult it is to open a door with a childproof doorknob cover. I've even experienced it first hand myself. This phenomenon usually leads to me cleaning a bathroom floor while consoling a humiliated 5 year old. Now the caveat to this theory is that if you are accustomed to peeing in your pants, or let's say a diaper, you then begin to possess super toddler abilities that allow you to outsmart the device and remove the doorknob cover all together. This is the only explanation I have for finding 2 toddlers in the hall and the doorknob cover in pieces in their room yesterday morning.

I'm wondering how much those professional childproofers charge per hour? Maybe I could hire out my twins to new parents. I'm sure in less time than any expert my kids can show them what things are going to be a problem when there's a toddler around. Sounds like a great way to support their cereal purging hobby.

No comments: