Thursday, July 2, 2009

Soap Cheese

Some of my friends have been raving about this homemade laundry detergent so I thought I would give it a try. The ingredients are Borox, Washing Soda and a bar of washing soap (after I finally located the one that was recommended to me I found out a bar of Ivory would have work as well). I spent about $5 on ingredients and only used a small portion of that to make a 2 gallon batch of laundry detergent. So it probably comes to about 50 cents per batch compared to about $8 normally. And anyone who know me, knows I love a bargain. It's also environmentally friendly so I figured it was worth a try.

Here's some pictures of the kids helping me make the detergent.

Photobucket

Elliott helping to grate the soap.

Photobucket

Corinna helping. (Please don't call the fashion police. Didn't you know tights on top of leotards are all the rage with 4 year olds this summer? )

Photobucket
We got down to the last little sliver to grate so I took over. Unfortunately he was a little too eager to help and got this for it.

Photobucket
Grated soap. Corinna said she wanted to put the cheese in and I explained it wasn't cheese. She said, "But it looks like cheese." I agreed that it was shaped like cheese and the color of cheese but it was really soap. Not willing to admit she might be wrong she declared it "SOAP CHEESE"

Photobucket
Adding more ingredients.

Photobucket
Yum.

Other people have told me this recipe takes 10 minutes. I don't think they had as many helpers I did so it took me about 45. I have washed my first load of laundry in it and so far I'm pleased.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Soap Cheese...good call, Corinna!
I find that my time to complete any project increases drastically when my kids help. Michael, my mom and Grampa Jim are much more patient with helpers than I am. Well, in fact, probably most of the inhabitants of the Earth are more patient. I look forward to the outcome of this experiment as you complete more loads.
When I called the Fashion Police I found they had blocked my phone number (can't imagine why?) ;)