Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tis the Season

Saturday we loaded up the kids to get our Christmas tree. We went to Pike Nurseries because we've always had the best luck there for a decent price. They had a lady taking pictures of the kids by the trees and putting the pictures in card frames. At first she saw the twins with me and took their picture. Then she said, "Oh I didn't see the baby" and got one of Elliott. About the time she had it in the frame she realized there were 2 more kids. Then Kendall wanted hers by the flocked trees so I think we ended up coming home with 4 pictures. So I figure the least I could do is give them a good plug.

Sunday our neighborhood had cookies with Santa at the clubhouse. After church we quickly fed the kids and loaded them up. About the time Santa showed up Rebecca came to tell us her stomach hurt and she wanted to go home. We quickly got the picture with Santa and once I realized she wasn't going to hurl, I asked her to give the other kids a chance to have a treat. A few minutes later when it was time to go, she was mad we waited so long to leave, Kendall was upset that she didn't get to ask Santa how long it took him to get there and the twins were mad that they didn't get to play longer. This is the first event we've attended since we've lived here and I don't think Matthew or I got to have more than a 2 minute conversation with any of our neighbors. Maybe next year.

Later in the week the girls were talking about what they wanted to get from Santa. I jokingly told them that they were getting coal. Rebecca then explained that if you've been naughty all you get from Santa is socks, underwear and coal . Then Kendall said she was going to get Rebecca some coal for Christmas. When I asked her why and she said, "Well sometimes she's not nice to me BUT it is a ROCK!"

Well it took us a few days to actually get our tree up and decorated. First we had realized that we needed new lights and since I wasn't taking all the kids to the store it had to wait until Matthew got off work. Then once I got the ornaments out within minutes one was broken and Elliot went straight for it. So the next day I packed up the 3 little ones and made a run to Target. Thanks to a few boxes of raisins, a package of animal crackers, a double stroller and a sling, I was able get the only set of multicolored shatterproof ornaments they had without any major meltdowns from the little ones. After making the kids wait half a week they had fun decorating the tree all of 10 minutes before they decided it was more fun to play with the ornaments.




While I was trying to get the lights done on the Christmas tree I put my little Elves to work stuffing and putting the address labels on the Christmas cards.




Today Meme and Papa Hardin came over to watch the three little kids so that I could go to Kendall's Kindergarten class and help her decorate a ginger bread girl. After she was done she ate her ginger bread cookie's arms and legs off. Kendall said she wanted to make sure she didn't try to run away. After that we wrote a story about her ginger bread girl who she named "Bristol" and caused quite a bit of trouble at school. (Sounds awfully familiar). Kendall was especially excited that I finally got to meet her friend Charlie who she talks about all the time. Then they ended the day by singing a few Christmas songs. Kendall took a few minutes to warm up. I was worried about this part since a few weeks ago she totally froze up when she was supposed to give the scripture and prayer in Primary (children's Sunday school). But she did great!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Kendall did a great job with her bells and singing! The tree looks great and I commend your fortitude on the shopping trip for lights!

Jill said...

I think she is too smart for her own good - to bite the legs off so the gingerbread man won't run away . . . better make sure her dolls are safe! She looked very cute singing at school. Josh will love to see that!

Jill said...

OH, and you are very brave to let the girls help with the cards . . . I can only imagine what mine would have looked like with the boys' help. BTW, we invested in those same ornaments from Target a few years ago. They are the best!